Background

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

(Sorry this is not the best photo)

This recipe comes from my sister. This was one of the first real meals I ever made for my husband when we were newly married and it has been good enough to stick around. When I make this I usually eat a lot more then what I should. What can I say... I LOVE the sauce!

* I half the meatball mixture part (it still makes enough to fill up a 9 x 13 pan ~24 meatballs or so) but still make the same amount of sauce. We like the extra sauce to pour on our rice. I usually steam some green beans to go with the dish. 

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Meatballs:
2 lbs lean hamburger
1 c oatmeal
2 eggs
2/3 c milk
1 small onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Sauce:
1 1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c vinegar
3 tsp mustard
3/4 c BBQ sauce
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Prepare meatballs by combining all meatball ingredients together. Form into 2 inch balls. Place meatballs in a casserole dish in a single layer. Blend together all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Heat through and pour sauce over meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meatballs are done.

You can also slice up a red pepper and add to this dish while cooking. I add a can of pineapple (towards the end of cooking... when there is about 15 minutes left)

Serve over rice.

-Angela Mencl

No comments:

Post a Comment